To get in touch, please write to

Greens on Screen’s first page was published in January 1999. Its early purpose was to bring Plymouth Argyle a little closer to those unable to see their team, and whilst it has changed a great deal over the years, its core themes - sites and sounds for Westcountry exiles - still stand. The site was very lucky to take on the content of Trevor Scallan’s Semper Viridis in the summer of 2007, and in 2009 launched GoS-DB, a wealth of facts and figures from PAFC’s history. A year later we embarked on a complete history of Argyle, with much-valued contributions from chapter authors.

Greens on Screen is an amateur website and proud of it. It is run by one person as a hobby, although there have been aspects of the site over the years that would be much the poorer without the had work and much-valued contributions of a small band of volunteers.

Greens on Screen is self-taught and as a result, a little bit quirky. Amongst a few stubborn principles, advertisements will never appear (and don’t get me started on the plague of betting promotions on other sites). It began its life before many others, including the club’s official site, when there was a large gap to be filled, and although there is now a wide variety to choose from, GoS’s sole aim, to be a service to fellow supporters, still seems to have a place.

Steve Dean

Leicester 3 Argyle 2

Football League Cup, Semi-final, 1st Leg

Wednesday, January 20, 1965

When TSWFTA sent me this clip as a sample of their archive, there was no clue what it was, not even a date. I've played it over and over again trying to piece together the small clues within. The shape of the roofs, not Home Park (but where?), recognisable players (who played together in what games with what numbers?), the opposition keeper with a certain familiar style. I'm almost certain now that it's this game, away to Leicester City at Filbert Street in the semi-final of the League Cup, the first time in the club's history that they'd made it so close to the big time.

And if I'm wrong, well it'll make this page look pretty silly. Any ideas for or against?

This video clip is owned by The South West Film & Television Archive, and reproduced with its kind permission:

Richard Reynolds heads on goal 

(13 secs, 412K)

OK, no goals, but nevertheless rare footage from over 40 years ago.  Luckily the VHS version is slightly clearer and at TV size.  As far as I can make out, it's Duncan Neale back to Johnny Newman (Johnny Williams in the foreground) out to Tony Book or Dave Corbett, headed back to Neale, across to Richard Reynolds and saved by the great Gordon Banks. Finally Norman Piper (perhaps) chasing back.

Anything to say about this page? Please drop me a line

The following article is an extract from Harley Lawer's excellent  book: "Argyle Classics" published by Green Books, Plymouth  (ISBN: 0951381709), and is reproduced with his kind permission.

Wednesday, January 20, 1965 League Cup, Semi-final, 1st leg

Leicester City 3, Argyle 2

Injury problems forced Malcolm Allison to include three teenagers in the line-up at Filberts Street.

Back: Duncan Neale, Tony Book, Noel Dwyer, Johnny Williams, Mike Reeves
Front: Dave Corbett, Mike Trebilcock, Johnny Newman, Richard Reynolds, Glyn Nicholas, Norman Piper.

The programme line-up (below) indicates what the full-strength team might have been.

Argyle did more than anyone reasonably expected to set up an evenly-poised return leg at Home Park. Their injury-ravaged line-up minus Barrie Jones, Nicky Jennings, Cliff Jackson, Keith Sanderson and Frank Lord came within just four minutes of holding the First Division side to a draw.

Referee Dick Windle looked as if he was ready to penalise Mike Stringfellow for a handling offence before he crossed the ball for Dave Gibson to snatch the winner. But he gave the winger the benefit of the doubt -much to the annoyance of the plucky Pilgrims.

The comment 'We put up a great show' from Manager Malcolm Allison was no exaggeration. He drafted in three youngsters -and centre-forward Richard Reynolds, inside-left Norman Piper and left-winger Glyn Nicholas, in his first senior appearance, were all a credit to him.

Piper, pulled back as an extra defender, was outstanding. The swift interchanging and enthusiasm of Reynolds and Nicholas brought panic into the heart of the Leicester defence and Dave Corbett, deputising for Jones, ran himself to a standstill.

The whole team covered themselves with glory. They never stopped chasing and working to make up for their lack of experience, and visibly rattled Leicester with their pace and zest.

Nicholas beat Gordon Banks in one of Argyle's opening raids but it didn't count, and the England goalkeeper rescued Leicester with a flying save from Mike Trebilcock.

Banks, however, was powerless to prevent a 25-yard screamer from Johnny Williams from scorching into the roof of his net to give the West Country side a stunning 35th minute lead. Williams could not have unleashed a more spectacular goal among his vast collection of long-range specials, and certainly not against a goalkeeper of Banks' repute.

But tragedy befell the unlucky Williams in the 58th minute when he was credited with Leicester's equaliser. Undaunted Argyle were back in front within two minutes. Nicholas, so close to a debut goal when Len Chalmers cleared his attempt off the line after a super-charged run by Corbett, was amply compensated when Trebilcock pounced on the loose ball to rifle it home.

There was also an element of misfortune about Leicester's second equaliser in the 69th minute. Bobby Roberts found the net but needed the help of a cruel deflection to beat Noel Dwyer.

Then came Leicester's late surge and the fortuitous winner. It still wasn't enough to dent the pride of Plymouth's performance or stifle the praise heaped on them by Leicester's own manager, Matt Gillies, and the many First Division bosses watching in the stand.

Leicester: Banks; Chalmers, Norman, McDerment, Sjoberg, Appleton, Goodfellow, Roberts, Cross, Gibson, Stringfellow.

Argyle: Dwyer; Book, Reeves, Neale, Newrnan, Williams, Corbett, Trebilcock, Reynolds, Piper, Nicholas.

Scorers: Leicester - Williams (og), Roberts, Gibson; Argyle - Williams, Trebilcock

Referee: Mr. R. Windle (Chesterfield)

Attendance: 12,470

And the second leg? Two weeks later, Argyle went down 1-0 at Home Park to miss a place in the League Cup Final.

Greens on Screen is run as a service to fellow supporters, in all good faith, without commercial or private gain.  I have no wish to abuse copyright regulations and apologise unreservedly if this occurs. If you own any of the material used on this site, and object to its inclusion, please get in touch using the 'Contact Us' button at the top of each page. Search facility powered by JRank Search Engine. Hover facility courtesy of Milonic. UK time at page load: 02 July 2022, 06:58.